5.10.2009

Goodbye China

A few days before we left for Beijing there was an accident involving one of the kids at my school. The issue was unresolved when we left, and when we came back it became more serious. Considering the legal system in China and the situation at the school it was possible that we foreign teachers might be at risk or in danger. On Thursday night, ILP informed us, with 8 hours notice, that we would be sent home. The school was unaware of this decision, so we had to leave at 5 am, with no goodbyes, 6 weeks before we were expected home. I arrived home on Friday night. It was rough to have to leave so unexpectedly, and I miss China like crazy. I loved the Chinese people, the food, the shopping, the kids, the teachers, my friends, the weather, the driving, being famous, traveling, teaching, running, talking and listening, the programs. I learned so much. It was an unforgettable experience.

2 comments:

Tanya S. said...

How frustrating that you had to suddenly leave. What happened to the student?

Still, it is good you got to experience China and teaching, despite the unexpectedly early ending.

Erin said...

That's crazy that you would have to "sneak" out. Glad you are safe and that you had such a positive experience. Are you already planning a return trip?