I've loved watching movies for a long time. I still love watching movies. I remember my friend Allison asking me what movies I haven't seen. I also have been told that I am a picky movie-watcher. Now that is not entirely true. I'll pretty much watch anything (ask Paul) but I definitely won't always like it. If it bores me, I'll do something else while the movie is on in the background. If I really don't like it I'll turn it off and find something else to do. Usually I'll stick with it just to say that I watched it (and so I can give a real opinion on it. I just realized I don't do that with books. I don't mind just stopping in the middle of a book and never reading it again). Anyways, I've been watching a lot of movies lately since we finally have internet at our place (yay!), we finally sent back our Netflix movie since we have a new address (yay!), and the library (provo and goodfellow) is full of awesome FREE movies. (also I am unemployed and not going to school). So I thought I'd do a little review of the movies I've seen lately.
Invictus. Netflix DVD. I watched this with Paul this afternoon. I didn't really like it. I'd give it 2 stars (the "I didn't like it" rating) ... but if there were half stars for Netflix ratings, I would give it 2.5, which would be half-way between "I didn't like it" and "I liked it". Voila, the "I didn't really like it" rating. (this is out of 5 if you are unfamiliar with Netflix). I started playing bejeweled on Paul's phone during the final game of the world cup. Yeah, it was boring. I spent more time being a dork looking up South Africa, Nelson Mandela, William Ernest Henley and Rugby on Wikipedia than watching the movie (all of those topics are actually quite interesting. look them up). I especially liked the poem ... "I am the captain of my soul". What did you think about it?
Inception. Theaters. I went to this on Tuesday ($6.00 day, yay!) with Paul. and I loved it. Loved it. Usually I get bored with movies that are longer than 2 hours. Longer than 1.5 hours actually. But this was so good. SO good. What can I say? The plot was wicked sweet awesome. Trippy. Really trippy. Okay. I'm liking this one-word description thing. It's about dreams people. The subconscious. Reality. Truth. Perception. The mind. After the movie Paul and I talked about all of these topics for hours. Also, the cinematography was awesome. Anti-gravity fighting scene was COOL. My favorite part though (spoiler alert) is that the whole movie could have just been Leo's dream. Also, technically, since it was just a movie, it was someone's dream. Someone's mind created that movie. and it was really good.
The Aviator. Library. Go Leonardo DiCaprio. I liked this movie well enough. Yes, Martin Scorsese is unique and kind of disturbing, but you need that element in a movie about a guy who has obsessive-compulsive disorder. I thought it was well acted. I did get a little distracted with Wikipedia again (Katherine Hepburn, OCD, Howard Hughes etc). All-in-all I thought it was good. I probably liked it more than I would have normally because I saw Inception right after it and it fueled our discussion about reality.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Library. I watched this the other day with Paul. It was amusing. One of those movies that I wouldn't mind watching again, but really wouldn't mind if someone knocked on my door and I never got around to finishing it. One of those movies that I watched just to say that I've seen it. It's classic ... (so what? I say.)
Baby Mama. Library. Seen it before, but think it's hilarious. Hilarious. Just watch it.
Ladyhawke. Library. I can't believe I watched this. 1985 fantasy film. The music made me laugh. The plot was ridiculous.
(sidenote: Paul's actually introduced me to a lot of 80's films: Better Off Dead, One Crazy Summer, So I Married and Axe Murderer, Never Ending Story, Clue, Top Gun, E.T. ... wow, at first I was going to say that all 80's movies are weird (which, yeah, okay, true statement) but now I realize that they really do have endearing qualities. maybe I kind of like 80's fantasy films!)
Other awesome movies I have recently seen: Live Free or Die Hard, Casablanca, Miss Potter
And for your TV entertainment delight, please take my advice and watch ABC's Modern Family. You won't regret it.
5 comments:
How could you not LOVE 80's movies? nothing beats a happy ending. hopefully everyone will agree with me here.
Best 80's movie: Back to the Future.
Most over-rated movie: Citizen Kane (total waste of time).
How could you get far enough through life to graduate from college without ever having watched Ferris Beuhler's day off??? Classic.
Next up should be the Back to the Future trilogy. We watched that all the way to Provo and back one year when we went for a football game.
I do love Back to the Future, and in fact I own the trilogy!
Oh my gosh, Ladyhawke. So, so great. I watched it with Liz and Melissa in January and when she pulls the wolf out of the icy water I started complaining about how it's totally unrealistic and she isn't strong enough and Liz said, "Well it's her true love!" and I replied with "If my true love were a wolf, I wouldn't pull him out of the water."
What's Christian's last name? Oh yeah...
Post a Comment