We enjoyed another weekend adventure with our friend Tyler and his girlfriend Kendra down in Charleston. We took our bikes and went on a little ride through the
Magnolia Plantation along the Ashley River. The plantation was founded in 1676 and boasts an intense history having survived through the Revolutionary War and the Civil War and is still owned by the same family: The Drayton's. The nature trail was fun to ride and the day we went was the most beautiful day; even the alligators thought so! And yes! They are wild!
That night we had dinner with Kendra and Tyler at a local burger joint called
Sesame Burgers and Beer. We didn't have beer, and I actually ordered chicken, but even so I thought it was great. The best part was the dessert, which we had as an appetizer (a Carr family tradition). It was the absolute best brownie sundae anyone has ever tasted! You must get it!
The next day we went back to the plantation and walked through the Audubon Swamp Garden. We saw more alligators as well as a crane, otters, fish, and birds. Swamps are just pretty cool, but they are kind of . . . icky . . . and green and kind of smelly too . . . but also awesome and nature-y.
After the swamp we wandered the garden paths, around the old house, over bridges and through the woods. We climbed the wildlife observation tower and found our way through a rather difficult horticultural maze. More pretty pictures:
Doesn't it make you want to come to South Carolina? It really is beautiful!
1 comment:
Hey, we were there this summer!! It really is a beautiful place, and although I appreciated the swamps I will admit that I was somewhat intimidated by them! Alligators scare me! I'm scared that one of them will chomp one of my little ones. (I even had a nightmare about Eden getting eaten, I know I am a total melodramatic wimp, but have you seen the teeth on those guys!?) The Carolinas are lovely places to visit, made all the nicer in the crisp autumn air. You guys should make a trek to the Shenandoah valley in Virginia, it is equally as stunning. (and totally worth the trip!)
Post a Comment