7.04.2011

The 4th of July

So I've often claimed that I rarely get to celebrate the 4th of July.  When I say "celebrate" I mean watch a parade, BBQ, watch fireworks, and be with friends, in America.  Isn't that what people usually do on the 4th of July?  But, anyway.  I feel like I need evidence to back up this claim, so, here is a list of how I've [not] celebrated the 4th over the years.


2002: I was in Magrath (Canada) visiting my grandparents and cousins.  They don't celebrate US Independence Day, obviously.

2003:  In Magrath (Canada) for a family reunion.

2004: Parades, BBQ, fireworks, friends, and family in my neighborhood.  Okay, that was some pretty good celebrating, I have to admit.

2005:  In Magrath (Canada) for a family reunion.

2006:  I actually went to Stadium of Fire (alone) that year (funny story) and had a BBQ and went to watch fireworks with my family.

2007:  In Waterton (Canada) for a family reunion.

2008:  This year, I was in Ireland on my study abroad, and DChap overruled our democratic decision and took us to Glendalough.  At least I was with friends!

2009: Annie and I ran a half marathon and went to Tigard High with my parents to watch some fireworks.

2010:  Paul and I drove from Alberquerque to San Angelo in one day.  We arrived just after a storm, got lost trying to get on base, and didn't see a single friend or firework or parade.


There you go!  In the last 9 years I've celebrated the 4th only 3 times.  5 of the other 6 times I was actually out of the country.

Let's just say I'm excited to celebrate Independence Day deep in the heart of Texas!


(And just for the record, I had to look up many of these events in my journals.  I don't have a magnificent memory of holidays I've celebrated.)




No comments: