We walked by and admired the prize winning arts and crafts, quilts, jams, jellies, pickles, and so on. We also walked up and down the midway, but avoided all of the carnival games, since everything at the fair is so expensive.
There were a few rides and we chose (k, I chose) to go on the Ferris Wheel, The Texas Star! I really love ferris wheels, and this was the largest ferris wheel in North America. Great views of Dallas and the fair grounds. Here are some pics.
We went to a few shows. The bird show that we went to was pretty funny because none of the birds were doing what they were supposed to do. They would fly somewhere and not come back, or forget how to get off stage. But they did have a bird fly down from the Texas Star to the stage, which was really cool. We also saw a dog show and (my favorite) a piglet race! The little piggies were so cute, running to get to an Oreo cookie first. Oink oink.
One of the best parts of the fair was the food. They had anything that you could want and then they also had it fried. We tried the fried cheesecake. It was delicious, but it gave me a stomach ache. The burgers, corn dogs, and root beer floats were also good. And we finished the day off with an onion blossom. I love onions, and this thing was amazing.
We stayed until night and watched some of the parade floats go by. Then we waited for, what they call, the Illumination Sensation, which turned out to be a boring slide show set to country music. The funny thing was that when there was a picture of the Texas Longhorns football team, everyone cheered louder than ever.
I had to add the picture above. We walked past this truck and everyone was taking pictures of it, next to it, with their friends and family. So I took a picture of them, because I think they're crazy Texans. :)
And wow, I almost forgot about all of the animals! There was a huge livestock area where you could pet and feed the animals. We watched them milk a cow and got to see the largest boar at the fair. He was massive! Also, let me know if you know how they got a giraffe in there.
So, yes we had a great time; I'm really glad we stopped. The food was good (even though it made me sick), the animals were fun, and it was funny to people watch. Again, Texans are a crazy bunch.
We made it to Montgomery safe and sound. The weather is beautiful! We don't have the most luxurious place (basically we live in a hotel) but it works. And we're going to Atlanta, GA this weekend if ya'll have any suggestions of things to do!
4 comments:
in Atlanta:
World of Coke
Centennial Olympic Park
CNN center
Aquarium
Underground Atlanta
MUST go to the Varsity - burger joint in atlanta with the BEST onion rings ever.
other amazing places to eat - zaxby's (try the buffalo fingers) and moe's (best burritos and queso you will ever eat)
let me know any other questions you have! And if you need anything in Atlanta my parents are there!
I'm so jealous, I've always wanted to go to Atlanta. Can you at least pass by whatever tribute to Gone With the Wind that they have?
I'm in New York this weekend, so I guess I can't be terribly jealous.
Sounds like y'all are pickin' up summa that Texas lingo. Piggies runnin' for Oreos - yes!
What the giraffe!!?
I love your photos, fairs are always entertaining (in more ways than one). Good luck settling into your new place.
Post a Comment