1.11.2011

Mvoies!!

I definitely spelled that wrong but I am going to leave it like that just because.

This post is for all you theatre-goers.  I hope these are all still out so that you can avoid the bad ones but catch the good ones (according to me at least).  

How Do You Know.  I didn't hate watching this movie.  There were some funny parts (mostly attributed to Owen Wilson) but in the end it really wasn't that great.  The storyline was cutup and broken, and I never really got that fuzzy feeling, oh, everything is going to be all right because they're together!  It just didn't happen, and I kind of expect that, at least a little bit, from a romantic comedy.  I never want to see it again.

Tron.  I didn't really know what to expect from this since I hadn't ever heard of the original but I thought, based on the trailers, that there might be a lot of cool 3D bike action.  Potential?  So we saw it.  But there was only one memorable action scene and the rest was long and boring.  REALLY boring. I cannot stress enough how boring it was.  Very sad for Jeff Bridges.  Until ...

True Grit.  I loved this!  It was clever and raw and heartfelt and gory and suspenseful and lovable.  It was truly gritty.  I am not too familiar with the Coen brothers, but I will most likely look at their movies in the future.  And I don't usually watch westerns either, but this really was amazing.  Go see it.

Tangled.  This was very cute.  I thought that Mandy Moore was a great voice for the main character.  and this totally outdid The Princess and the Frog, if you saw that. 

Did I miss anything worthwhile in the theatres this season??

3 comments:

Donna said...

Glad you enjoyed True Grit. Dad and I watched another Coen brothers movie the other night. I thought it was weird but Dad seemed to like it. Some of it was filmed at the Jewish Community Center in St. Louis Park, MN where Allison went to preschool. It was called "A Serious Man". My favorite Coen brothers movie is "Fargo".

Kent said...

Serious Man was great, in a quirky Coen-brothers way. They recreated mid-60's suburban Minnesota so well. I can relate because I grew up in Minnesota from 1962-65, and was 11 when we left (and 13 in 1967, which is the year of the movie and the age of the boy in the film).

But the main character is the one I sympathize with. Everything in his life seems to be going wrong (his wife says she is leaving him for a much older man, his tenure committee is turning him down, his brother has overstayed his welcome, his neighbor is going to build a shed that infringes the property line ... and on and on). He desperately seeks help from the Rabbis, but only gets the junior rabbi who tries to convince him that the view out the window is beautiful (it's a parking lot! poor junior rabbi - hilarious). So his attempt to find out what it all means fails miserably. But then without explanation it all seems to turn around and start going his way (his wife's lover dies in a car accident, the tenure committee has said yes, and he decides to accept the bribe from his Korean student and use the hundreds of dollars to pay for his divorce attorney legal bill - ahhh, resolution, the problems are going away!), but then ... (spoiler alert!) ...
the final scene is a tornado bearing down on his son's school, while he receives a call from his doctor about a chest x-ray, saying they need to talk in person (meaning it is probably lung cancer).

Only the Coen brothers....

Amy said...

You should watch RED. It is very funny.

I am glad you and Paul and your turtles are having a great time in Texas! I miss you!