A few weeks ago Paul and I went to Sullivan's Island down in Charleston. It takes about two and a half hours to drive there, but that was okay with us since we have a new car. Plus, it's the beach.
We chose Sullivan's Island (over the many other beaches Charleston has to offer) mainly because we had heard that it's a family friendly beach and we are basically your typical married fogies now. Who wants to deal with all those surfing young people? Not us.
Turns out Sullivan's Island has a permanent sand bar that makes a neat wave-less pool of surprisingly hot water. And I mean hot, like a hot-tub hot. Then again I'm from Oregon where the ocean makes your toes go red and your feet go numb. Once you go past the sand bar the water stays very warm and has a strong current but only mild waves. It was fun to play that game where you see who can stand in one spot the longest. You know that game, right? It's pretty self-explanatory.
We loved hiking around in the waves and getting some UV rays. Paul found two whole sand dollars (big ones, too) but broke them both when we went back to the sand to lay down. I sprayed sunscreen on Paul and did a horrible job (he ended up looking very splotchy) so I let the sand dollar thing slide.
After the beach we went to the Tanger Outlet Mall in Charleston and I got jeans (two pairs!) at Banana Republic for 50% off. Major score. We also outsmarted a cashier and got two oven mitts for the price of one. All in all it was a fabulous trip.
1 comment:
Wow! That is some beach. And please tell me you didn't come by the second oven mitt dishonestly.
Post a Comment