7.31.2008

Canterbury and Battle

Since today was Thursday the group once again embarked on a day trip. As expected we spent more time on the coach than at the actually sites . . .
The first stop was Canterbury. I liked the cathedral and the story of the martyrdom of Thomas a Becket. The stained glass depicts some pilgrims coming to worship his shrine. We didn't have much time to explore the town, but it seemed cute and quaint. I wish we had learned a little more about Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, just because that's where all of his characters were traveling to.
The next stop was Battle, where we took an audio tour about the Battle of Hastings and wandered the battle grounds. We also looked at the ruins of the Abbey Church. I've learned a lot about English history on this trip and am actually fascinated by it. The other picture is the stone slab that marks the place where King Harold died in the battle, allowing William the Conqueror the opportunity to take his place as ruler of England. After that we had a 3 hour drive home. My i-pod died walking into the flat.

No comments: