7.22.2008

Westminster Abbey

On Monday I went to Westminster Abbey for the first time. I was really excited to see all the famous dead people! However, my favorite thing ended up being Henry VII's Lady Chapel because the ceiling was so beautiful. I also liked the old wooden chair. It took me about an hour and a half to get around the whole building listening to the audio tour. I took a break to write down this poem that I found on one of the tombs:

What so thou hast of nature, or of arts,
youth, beauty, strength, or what excelling parts
of mind and body, letter, arms, and worth,
his eighteen years, beyond his years, brought forth,
then stand and read thyself within this glass,
how soon these perish, and thyself may pass.
man's life is measured by the work, not days,
no aged sloth, but active youth has praise.

Westminster has made the top 3 now on my favorites list. Definitely a must-see!!

No comments: