So on our first night in Shanghai we found a noodle shop on Nanjing street. I spit my bones out on the table, as is Chinese custom.
Our first morning in Shanghai was pretty rainy and cold. We decided to go to the top of Jinmao Tower. On the 88th floor, this was our view.While we were checking out the view I noticed that a bunch of Asian tourists had come up. I got up on a little step to take a picture of them, but ended up taking pictures WITH them instead! One after another they stepped up to pose with a white girl! It was pretty hilarious.
The building on the left is taller than the Jinmao Tower. Someone just had to go and outdo.For lunch we found an "Italian" restaurant. I decided to be adventurous and ordered octopus balls with Erin. They were delicious!
Chelsea, Danielle, and I decided to walk to Century Park. It was really rainy and the park was far away. It was pretty though, and we stopped in a few nice looking buildings to use the bathrooms ... even though we weren't really allowed.
After the park, we went to the Jade Buddha Temple. It was a ways away. I got a cab for us though! The temple was a little under-whelming, but I've never been to a Buddhist temple before so, good experience I guess.
Rubbing the laughing Buddha for good luck!!
We went up the Pearl Tower at night. It was really pretty to see the city come alive. Our ticket came with entrance to the Shanghai History Museum. Haha, fun times.
The Oriental Pearl TV Tower, lit up at night!
Here is my mystery meat dinner, and my Shanghai travel book, that was such a life-saver!!
So we came across this scene in Renmin Park in the morning. Random pieces of paper clipped on the bushes and crowds of people looking at them and talking. Any explanations are welcome.
Me in front of the Shanghai Museum. It was free! and it was cool to see some pretty ancient stuff. China is old.After the museum, Chelsea and I walked around the East Nanjing area. We tried to find the art museum, but on the way we found something better. A lovely booth with foooood. I got a sugar-covered strawberry kebab. Then I got more octopus balls. and some sweet tart thing. and THEN, I bought this amazing Chinese taco, or at least that's what I called it. Chinese food is good! No doubt about it.
One of my favorite experiences was pushing through this crowd, peering at the food being cooked right before my eyes. There were some pretty sketchy things, but the purple dessert thing that Chelsea and I got was yummy.
That night we all went to the Shanghai Acrobatic Show. Those girls had amazing flexibility and guts! It was a good show!The next day we started with a tour of Old Town. We stumbled across this street and bought some breakfast from the locals. I love the diversity in big cities.
Next stop was the Yuyuan Gardens and Bizarre. The Bizarre was amazing. There were so many shops with souvenirs and trinkets. Chelsea and Danielle did their fair share of bargaining, but I can't ever get myself to buy stuff.
At the gardens there were a ton of koi ponds. Some Chinese girl grabbed one out of the water, and after a picture handed it off to Messa!! She had no idea what to do! I don't think the fish knew what was happening either! hahaha.
Being artsy at the gardens. It was a super pretty place.
Me at the gardens.
That night we walked around the Bund. The Shanghai skyline is really really cool!! I'm kind of sad that in all of these pictures I am wearing the same coat and it looks so gray out!Here is another example of the Chinese being so fascinated with white people. Some guy just handed Chelsea his baby and wanted a picture with us! We got used to it and by the end of the trip I think we all enjoyed having random people ask to take pictures with us. And I understand their fascination - there are no white people in Hefei, and even we got SO excited when we saw white people on the train to Shanghai. :)
The Yuyuan Bizarre at night.
The group at the waterfront! Joelle, Chelsea, Me, Danielle, Meghan, Messa, Erin, Tammi, and Kelsey! We had so much fun in Shanghai!!!! Highlights not pictured include figuring out if the person in the other girl's room was a man or a woman, following Meghan through the alleyways to check out some sweet knock-offs, getting to sit in the VIP lounge at the Hefei station, and talking to random people who want to practice their English.
I love China!!!
3 comments:
so the pictures of you at the garden are gorgeous. just like you.
Thanks for the great tour of Shanghai - you're a Rock Star!
ok so the one of you in front of the pond at the garden is definitely the best. also i don't know how you can handle all the weird food you eat there.
Post a Comment