8.16.2010

Connections

So my late obsession with movies has brought to me some great discoveries.

I like to use Netflix for movie suggestions, but sometimes, even in my queue of 100 movies, I can't find anything that sounds good. That's when I click on other movies I like, and peruse the actors' and directors' pages to see if it won't lead me to something I would like to watch. This week, I clicked on Inception, which led me to Marion Cotillard, which led me to La Vie en Rose, for which Cotillard won an Oscar for best actress. It sounded interesting and had great reviews, so I watched it! I loved the movie because of the French, the acting, Edith Piaf's story, and the music. I would highly recommend it. Here is one of my favorite songs from the movie, Non Je Ne Regrette Rien:



I hope that you recognized the song. Yes, this is the "kick" song that they used in Inception. Isn't the casting of Marion Cotillard and this specific song (which really could be a character) very interesting? I love the connection, and I can't help but hope that this casting (of both Cotillard and the song) was intentional.

Now, Edith Piaf had a pretty messed up life. Another actress/singer I have been watching lately is Judy Garland. I've always loved her voice, though who doesn't? She had a pretty messed up life too, but like Piaf, she has a great legacy. Really.

I just watched Easter Parade, and I wanted to share this scene. Isn't she lovely?



I love musicals.

No comments: