I did enjoy Eat, Shoots, and Leaves! So much, in fact, that I read it in two days. I'm not sure if my punctuation has improved at all (probably not), and I am for sure not a "stickler" like Truss, but I appreciated her opinions and loved her writing.
After finishing that, I didn't know what else to read. I opened some books that I've had on my shelf for a while, but never really felt like reading. So I went back to the library and found myself in the section where I had found Eat, Shoots, and Leaves. And there, sitting all unread, was Stephen Pinker's The Language Instinct. 450 pages of gobble-dee-goop linguistics theory. You're probably thinking, "What!? You already graduated, and you seriously picked that textbook out of all of the books in the world?" ... well yeah, I did. and I like it!
1 comment:
Not loving The Language Instinct. Something about Steven Pinker bugs me.
You should, however, go find Txtng: the gr8 db8 by David Crystal. I loved that one.
As for non-linguistic books, I have a slew of good ones, so let me know when you need more.
Post a Comment